Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Buttercup Squash with Apple Recipe

Butter cup squash cooked with apples, buttercup squash recipeWe have some Buttercup squash grown from our garden still, so I am always looking for new and interesting ways to prepare it for my family. I just love being able to feed my family food I have grown from my garden year round. It is easy to store winter squash during the winter and cuts down on the grocery bill all year-long! I liked this recipe, it just took a long time to cook, so take that into consideration when cooking it.

Buttercup Squash with Apples


1 Buttercup squash

1/2 cup chopped tart cooking apple

2 teaspoons packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash in the baking dish with the cut side up. Mix all of the other ingredients then pour in to the scooped out Squash halves. Cover with tin foil and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender. (It took almost an hour before ours was cooked though.)

Enjoy your harvest!

No comments: