Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gardening For Beginners

Gardening is for everyone who has the desire for fresh harvest and a refreshing experience. It is not too late to start, and it is easy to learn. I think the ability is naturally born in us to know the basics of how to keep a plant alive. Gardening is for beginers. But a little research and planing will go a long way on how successful you garden will be. So where to start?
  1. Make a plan. Where are you going to have your garden? Map it out, or if you will have containers, know how much space you need so that you can plan what veggies you will have space to plant. One tip that might save you some headache, Start out small. Try a small grow box first, then you can build more. It will give you an idea on how much time you have to spend in the garden. If you find yourself wanting more to do in the garden, then by all means the next year expand it.
  2. After you know where, I recommend to sign up for an account for this excellent garden planner. You can plan what you want to plant by mapping it out, and it will show you how many plants you can plant in that space. Then it will even send you an email reminder when it is time to plant those things in your plan. I also like the feature of being able to take notes about your garden from year to year. You will learn things and want to remember them. Having this on the computer, you no longer have to worry about loosing papers or forgetting things. I love it!
  3. Next, build or prepare the soil where you are going to plant. Add lots of organic matter every year. When you begin a garden this is one of the most important things to learn. It will keep your soil nice, and makes your garden grow wonderfully.
  4. When the time is right, plant your garden. Each plant has its specific needs so you will need to plant at the right times for each one. Again the garden planner will help you with that.
  5. Make a plan for your watering system. I use to water my garden all by hand, everyday. Well, by hose actually. It took me an hour every morning. I really enjoyed my time, but if things came up, then my garden would suffer. So we installed drip irrigation to water for me. It took some time to put it in, but saved me so much time in the long run. I recommend this if your garden is very big, or you have any trips planned. I still kept an eye on my garden, and went out to keep the weeds down, but my time was spent taking care of it instead of just watering it.
  6. Harvest often. Most plants will slow their producing, or stop all together if the vegetables are not harvested often.

You can begin to garden, and reap the benefits of having a wonderful harvest of homegrown food. We have an extensive website designed to help people like you start a garden, and have a successful harvest. Please refer to it often, and check out all my past blog posts. I try to share as much useful information as I can.

Happy Gardening!

No comments: